Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Reservation

I read this about nine or ten years ago, my dad got it for me for x-mas, I think. I've since gone on to read A Cook's Tour and The Nasty Bits. I even own the single season DVD of Kitchen Confidential TV series. I regularly watch No Reservations on the Travel Channel, so needless to say I'm a big fan. When I found out he was coming to Tulsa to speak at the PAC, I got all excited and made plans to go. That was a few months ago and I was disappointed when I saw on the internet that the cheapest advance tickets were over $200. Damn. I cancelled my plans to attend. Then today, while I was awaiting my daily venti frappuccino at Starbucks, I noticed Bourdain's face on the front page of the local entertainment section. I read it and it said that tix were $35-$45. No way. I came home and followed the link I saw in the paper and sure enough, affordable. I've been trying to be good and not use my credit card, but this is an unexpected opporunity that I just couldn't pass up.
I have been in the restaurant business for about 20 years, 7.5 years as a sushi chef. Kitchen Confidential is an essential read for anyone who thinks of themselves as a "foodie." Tony is a hardened kitchen veteran and it shows in his attitude, his writing and I assume, his cooking. As a chef and aspiring writer, I look up to Bourdain and look forward to seeing him live this saturday. My ticket is waiting at the PAC box office.

No comments:

Post a Comment