Monday, January 31, 2011

books for free

I had a little over a hundred dollars worth of receipts from Gardner's used books, so I brought them back in today. It entitled me to around seventeen dollars worth of free book. Here's what I scored:
  • Ribsy by Beverly Cleary - This was the first book I ever read all by myself back in 1978. I picked it up for nostalgic reasons.
  • 5 Novels by Daniel Pinkwater - Hardback, contains: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy From Mars, Slaves of Spiegel, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, The Last Guru, Young Adult Novel. I've got Snarkout Boys and Guru. Reread Snarkout Boys a few years ago. Can't wait to reread Guru. The rest are new to me.
  • Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury - I saw Something Wicked This Way Comes and Martian Chronicles when I was really young, so long ago that I barely remember anything about them. I've been meaning to read something by Bradbury ever since I saw this video. This book was unsorted among the new arrivals in sci-fi, so I grabbed it.
  • The Last Coin by James P. Blaylock - I had brought a short list of recommended steampunk titles and was searching for Homunculus by James Blaylock. Couldn't find it. Got this one instead.
  • Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem - I didn't even read the description on the back of the book, I saw the name and snatched it off the shelf. I read three books by this author last year, all good.

I wandered all over that store for at least an hour or two and after checking out I still had a couple of dollars store credit left.

No comments:

Post a Comment