Friday, October 8, 2010

early influences

I read these two books in high school. What does that say about me? I got them both off of my dad's bookshelf. They are both journalistic masterpieces, but my favorite is the gonzo exploits of Hunter S. Thompson in Las Vegas. It is one of the very few books that I've ever read more than once.
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test was the true story of the development of LSD and it's connection to Ken Kesey and The Grateful Dead. I got lost in this book and it took me forever to read. I don't even really remember how it ended. I might have found it's lucid, coherent narration to be perhaps a bit dry and uncompelling. Whereas with Thompson, you can literally feel the madness, seeping off the page.
Both good reads, and perhaps a little bit influential to me at that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment